Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Great Escape

Do you ever have the feeling that you're just not "right"?  I've been feeling that way for a few weeks now.  One thing that I just don't like about myself, but am finding it hard to overcome is that I like to escape.  When things are hard, I'd rather read a good book, watch TV, or eat a bowl of ice cream.  I read a really good quote recently from a book by Dan Allender called To Be Told.

"So what really moves us?  It's whatever we love.  If I love the feeling of being full, satisfied, and content, I will love the ease that any false god like food can provide . . . Doughnuts require less risk, suffering, and loss than a 30 minute workout.  And I love what takes away pain and suffering more than I love what is true, good, or lovely."

Argh!!  He might as well have written, "Dear Sarah Pippin."  Numerous things are rolling around in my head.  One that I've mentioned here before - Little Guy starting Kindergarten.  With that for me comes stress and guilt.  I have such high expectations for myself as a mom.  No one told me to do that.  I put it on myself.  When I feel like I'm not living up to this "ideal" in my head, I want to drown myself in Chocolate Moose Tracks and watch Toddlers and Tiaras.  Why do we run away?  I want to feel good.  I want to escape this world that is not my home and all the pain and heartache in it.  I value that more than I do what is "true, good, or lovely."  It's good to take a look at hard things.  It's true and lovely to put down the remote and the ice cream carton and engage with Jesus.  But, it is hard. Oh that I would value what is lovely.

To COMPLETELY change the subject.  We puppy sat yet again this weekend.  Here is our Sweet Girl.  She'll probably be a veterinarian when she grows up.


2 videos today!  With school comes learning to read.  Here is Little Guy making his way through Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.  Listen for Sweet Girl doing her own version of "reading" off to the side.



1 comment:

  1. Such a great post!!! I understand completely. Escaping can be fun but I guess for only a little while. I love the video of Sweet Girl. She totally is going to be a vet :) Excited for her to meet Franz sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete