Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Library and the Beast

I discovered the library!  The library has been around for how many years?  But, I feel like I have discovered it for the first time.  I mean you can take out books AND MOVIES and watch them, read them and then bring them back FOR FREE!!  It's really an amazing thing.  Why am I just taking advantage of this amazing institution?  Don't even get me started on how you can "check out" digital copies of things.  Wow!

When I was little I wanted to be a librarian, because I loved the stamp thingy they used.  I loved how they pulled out the little card in the back, stamped it, and put it back in all nice and neat.  What a great job!  Well, gone are those days!

With Little Guy in school our tradition has become to do pizza and a movie on Friday night.  We're all tired and it's nice to veg out together.  I have been renting a kids' "classic" each week and this week was Beauty and the Beast.  Most households own it, but we don't, and I thought they'd like to see it.  Plus Sweet Girl needs to add some princesses into her repertoire.  She is surrounded by boy things.

I thought they would both like it.  As we were watching it, I looked over and saw tears running down Sweet Girl's cheeks.  I was perplexed.  Was she responding to the emotions in the movie?  Had she been holding her eyes open too long without blinking?  We stopped the movie for some other reason and started it back later.  The same thing happened the next time except this time she was silently crying but still watching the movie.  I was so sad for her.  I said "Sweet Girl, are you scared?"  She gave me a pitiful "yyeeahh."  So, I held her and we talked about how the Beast is good and becomes a prince.

As we were walking down the stairs later getting ready to leave, she said something to me that sounded equivalent to "jacket beast mommy."  After a few more times, I figured out she was saying "don't like it beast, mommy."  I kid you not, she repeated this to me 30 times throughout the course of our ride to Red Lobster and during our whole meal there.  By the 28th time I was a little tired of it, but I thought hey at least she is expressing her feelings!


1 comment:

  1. SUCH a cute pic! yeah...my girls say they are "scared of the beast until he changes his heart." and they always refer to how he says the word: STUPID. :)
    I miss the rubber stamp library days too.

    ReplyDelete