Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jekyll and Hyde

3/5's of the first week of school down!  Oh, there's so much I could write, but the emotions of the week exhausted me, so I'm going to try to keep it short and sweet.

Little Guy is in Kindergarten!  Everyone was pretty calm on Monday morning.  We had to leave at 8am to get him to school by 8:45am, and we live, oh, about 7 minutes from the school.  Imagine a school with 9 Kindergartens and picture everyone (K-5) trying to get in the same doors - insanity!

Here's Little Guy sporting his Lightning backpack before leaving the house.


1 kiddo + 1 handsome husband



After finally finding a parking space, here we are walking in.  The biggest excitement at this point was seeing a snake under our car . . .



As we're walking in, I think, "I just can't believe we're doing this. I just can't believe we're doing this." over and over to myself.  Little Guy is excited though.  Can you imagine dropping this kiddo off for the first time?



I hold it together until we leave the room.  As I'm walking out, I turn around to look at him, and the huge-ness of the moment hits me.  He looks so small and so young.



I ask him if he's okay.  He says he's fine, and I can tell he is . . .


The rest of the day is a blur.  Looking back I know I was just counting down the minutes until he got off that bus.  He made it.  He loved it.  It was a great day.

One thing I did not anticipate was how much Sweet Girl would miss him.  She was out of sorts all day.  As we were leaving the house, she kept saying, "my ack ack!  my ack ack!" translated - "My backpack! My backpack!" - meaning she thought she should have a backpack to go to school, too - heartbreaking!

Here she is hugging him before we left . . .



The last 2 days have been a dream, and I was driving home today thinking "Wow - we might actually have been worried for nothing.  This is amazing!"  Spoke (or thought) too soon!  Blair was home this afternoon, so he went to the bus stop to get Little Guy.  As I heard the door open downstairs, I immediately heard wailing.  I mean this was weeping and gnashing of teeth . . .

Here he is getting off the bus today - the calm before the storm . . . (note the holding up of the shorts leg)


Well, he must have fallen on the way to get ON the bus, and he held in his tears until he saw his Daddy.  Then he cried all the way home, and I kid you not about 20 minutes afterwards all because of the major travesty of skinning his knee.  Now, I've told you before he is sensitive, but this was excessive even for him.  At this point I know he is beyond tired, so I MAKE him take a nap.  He goes to the bed kicking and screaming, but he is OUT in 2 seconds.

I wake him up at 4:30, and he finally utters an intelligible word at 5:00.  We have baths before dinner, and he cries for about another 15 minutes because Blair tells him to put his pj's on.  What ever happened to half day Kindergarten????

The drama finally ended, and I had to laugh to myself at just the up and down-ness of the evening.   We have been playing around with starting to potty train Sweet Girl.  Well, she goes over to the potty (which sits now in our living room) and Little Guy says, "I smell poo poo."  She had gone over to sit on the potty and pooped on the potty WITH her diaper ON.  Well, now, I'm convinced that my 5 year old is going to potty train my 2 year old for me!  He gets all worked up and tells her to take her diaper off, takes her upstairs, sits her on the potty, and starts to "read" a book to her while she's "trying" to go.  It's hilarious.

Even though Little Guy has been Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde tonight.  I'm sitting there looking at Sweet Girl sitting on the plastic potty and Little Guy attempting to read Dr. Seuss to her and thinking, "What a good older brother and sister they would be to some sweet child that has yet to join our family."  How blessed that child will be to have them.  How blessed I am to have them. How blessed we will be to have that child. 


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun in your home even with all the "up-and-down-ness". What a great little guy, Little Guy is. :) You must be so proud of him!

    ReplyDelete