Monday, August 8, 2011

Grace and Officer Charles

Since I'm committed to being real, here's a real life story from my morning . . .

I dragged myself out of bed to go work out at the Y this morning.  On the way out of our neighborhood AND back in, there were about 4 policemen with motorcycles at the entrance.  I wasn't stopped, but made a mental note to myself to remember since I had to leave again in about 45 minutes to take Little Guy to swim lessons.

We rush out the door.  I tend to be generally on time, but I was feeling particularly hurried because I wanted to get there early to get a shady spot, which is a hot commodity - no pun intended.  I had to stop in the middle of the road to help Little Guy with his seat belt - argh - more people coming to take my shade!

Well, Frantic Fanny here forgot the police were there and sped down the road at 43 mph in a 25 zone . . . Of course, I was pulled over.  The fault was mine, so arguing was pointless.  And we also know (don't we?) that 33 year old wives and moms of 2 do not flirt with police men, right?  I couldn't even summon any tears.  I was definitely in the wrong!  I decided to take the - being nice route.  He told me how fast I was going.

Me: "I'm so sorry.  We were late for swim lessons."
Officer Charles: "Swim lessons, huh? When's the last time you had a ticket?"
Me: "uh, um, not sure - college, maybe?"

He walks away to do something with that little checker device that I'm sure can tell him everything from where I was born, to when my last ticket was, to what I had for breakfast this morning.  He calls out from his motorcycle . . .

Officer Charles: "Where'd you get that accent?"
Now, I thought he said something about that "accident," because I was in a doozy of one in college, but I pulled it together, figured it out, and said . . .

Me: "Virginia - southwest part."
Officer Charles: "I grew up in North Carolina on the coast."
We have something in common being born below the Mason Dixon line!  I'm hoping, hoping this is good for me.

He comes back over . . .
Officer Charles: "You were going 43 mph in a 25 zone.  That's $254 and 3 points on your license."
my heart sinks . . .
Officer Charles: "But I'm writing you a ticket for not having your registration (which I know you probably do). It's $10 and no points on your license."
I want to jump out of the car and hug him. Instead I stammer around . . .
Me: "Thank you so much.  I am so sorry, so sorry!"
He says it's okay and starts talk about how cute Little Guy is that he looks like me and shows me a picture of his son and asks if he looks like him.  Oh, Officer Charles, somebody award him "Man of the Year."


Grace - not getting what you deserve.  Thank you, Jesus, for grace in all shapes and forms!


We made it to swim lessons and a birthday party after though!  This is a funny video of the birthday guests watering a tree . . .




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a crazy morning! You could make Officer Charles some brownies (but I would avoid the special kind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same thing happened to another Crusade couple I know. That officer must have been in a good mood! :)

    ReplyDelete