Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The God Who Sees

You know how some nights putting your kids to bed (if you have kids, and if you don't, you can probably imagine) are just kind of hum-drum?  If I'm honest with myself, some nights I'm rushing through the "Jesus Storybook Bible" that we read to our kids at night.  I'm hurrying through our prayers - rushing through the 18th chorus of Noah and the arky, arky.  Tonight though I felt like I was on holy ground . . .

Blair was brushing Sweet Girl's teeth and Little Guy brings over his Veggie Tales devotion book that I bought with the best of intentions, but only made it through, um, day 7 I think.  I end up reading Day 1 to him while we're waiting for the teeth brushing to conclude.  It talked about Jesus being in our heart.  We honestly are not pushy with our kids, because we want them to understand what they're doing when they make a decision for Jesus, to be intellectually and emotionally mature enough to really understand it.  We don't want them to "pray a prayer" just so we can wipe our foreheads and go "whew!" or be able to tell our friends that they did it.

I did take this chance though to ask a few questions, and this is how the conversation went . . .

Me: Little Guy, have you asked Jesus into your heart?
Little Guy: Yep.
Me: When did you do that?
Little Guy: I do that every day, kind of quiet.

I am first of all amazed by this. Second of all,  I'm completely surprised in the sweetest sense of the word at his innocence and in some sense that he has a  spiritual life all of his own.  So . . .

Me: You know you don't have to do that every day.  You only have to do it once, and Jesus is in there forever.
Little Guy: Okay

Both Blair and my antennas are up now, so Blair starts asking him questions and that go something like this . . .

Blair: What did Jesus do?
Little Guy: He died.
Blair: Why did He die?
Little Guy: For our sins.
Blair: What are our sins?
Little Guy: Bad stuff.

Well, this conversation continues on through Blair tucking him in.  I think we were both over-eager because we've never gotten such clear answers or such a willingness to talk about it. So, we probably overdid it on the questions.  Eventually, Sweet Little Guy says, "Daddy, we don't need to talk about this anymore.  It's time for me to go to sleep now." You know your son is done talking to you about something when he ASKS to go to bed!

It was truly a sweet moment, and I have no idea if this was "his moment" that he'll forever share when he tells people how he came to know the Lord.  But, right now, I'm amazed at God's precious gift to me in light of him starting Kindergarten on Monday and all the emotions I've been feeling with that.  It's as if God is telling me He "sees" me and "sees" Little Guy and that the He will be doing the same while he's in school.  I feel truly cared for and known and seen.  I feel utterly blessed beyond measure to know El Roi - the God who sees.



Random picture time:

Smoothie makin'














Check out this adorable little baker/ballerina.  I have an apron to match courtesy of my dear, talented friend, Keri.


3 comments:

  1. i LOVE this post. and your blog in general:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting!!! I'll be praying for you guys and the Little Guy. Arky. Arky. Hehe. Now it is stuck in my head. I better rehearse for when I babysit in a few weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sarah, love it! How special and sweet. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete