Monday, August 1, 2011

swimming, pizza, and earwigs

For just having come back from a long trip where sleep was a luxury, and there was zero comfort in our zones, our kids did amazing.  If you have kids, I don't know if you have this problem, but I call it "re-entry." It can happen 1 out of 2 times.  1 is when we have been gone, and they have been angels for whoever was taking care of them. BUT, when they see mommy and daddy, everything they've wanted to cry or whine about for however long comes out . . .  2 is if we have been somewhere on a trip and come back home.  I'm not exactly sure why this happens, but we can usually expect 2 to 3 days of whining, fussing and general bad moods.

Amazingly, this did not happen after Colorado.  On Saturday we enjoyed a nice day at the pool.  This is me giving a double piggy back ride.  Actually, I guess I'm giving one piggy back ride, and Little Guy is giving the other.


Luckily, that night I had the ingredients for a homemade pizza, since a major restocking trip to the store had yet to happen.  Here are my 2 little chefs helping assemble the pizza pie, and yes, we threw the dough in the air like real professionals!  I wish I had a picture of that.


Another nice surprise coming back from Mountain Time - I experienced no jet lag, and the kids slept until 9am for a few mornings!  Poor Blair had a harder time falling asleep though. Well, it was about 7:30am on Sunday morning.  My alarm was set to go off at 8am.  To my great horror, I woke up to a sharp pinch on my face!  Now, I am the kind of girl who detests bugs.  My fear of spiders has threatened to overtake my life sometimes.  I kid you not, I will still check the bed for bugs on some nights!  Thankfully, it was no spider, but when my eyes opened, I saw a little black thing scurrying across my pillow.  It was an earwig.  After we killed the wretched thing, I jumped on Google (as all 21st century people do) to find out if they bite and if I'd have to go to Urgent Care for some strong antibiotics.  They don't bite, but they do pinch, and so it happened that Sarah Pippin awoke to a pinch from an earwig - not in my top 5 ways of being woken up on any given day, but I survived! (I'll bet you can guess our first stop after church that morning . . . Home Depot - for some Ortho Home Defense!)

1 comment:

  1. disgusting!! i am so sorry you got bitten awake! and I have never heard of an earwig. just sounds gross. :)

    ReplyDelete