Monday, September 26, 2011

Don't Forget That!


Quite a while ago we started telling Little Guy, "We love you no matter what.  Don't forget that!"  We wanted him to know that our love for him isn't based on his behavior, whether good or bad.  Well, after hearing this over and over for months on end he's now saying, "Don't forget that!" every time he tells us that he loves us.  It's so precious and sweet and, of course, we tell him not to forget we love him too.  Whenever he says it I think, "Of course I won't forget it and I hope he doesn't either." 


Not long after he started saying this it hit me that God is saying the same thing.  "I love you no matter what.  Don't forget that!" and I often have the same thoughts, "Of course I won't forget."  But the truth is, I forget far too easily.  Whenever things don't go the way I had planned my disappointment reveals my forgetfulness.  Whenever I look to others for their approval my search for significance, once again, reveals my forgetfulness.  I forget daily but God's Holy Spirit whispers to me saying, "Don't forget that!"  Jesus loves me so much He gave His life so that I might live with Him.  When I am reminded of His love displayed on the cross, I remember that He is good so I can trust His plan.  I remember that I am a child of God and that's what makes me significant.  I need to hear God say, "Don't forget that!" because I am a very forgetful man. 

I hope that Little Guy doesn't forget that his father loves him as much as I forget that my Father loves me.  It's because I know how forgetful I am that I'll keep telling him everyday, "Don't forget that!" just in case he needs reminding like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment