Tuesday, April 3, 2012

How Different Can 2 Kids Be?

I am an only child.  Enough said . . . along with that come connotations (sometimes) of a selfish and spoiled kid.  Am I those things?  Sure, I can be.  Being the mother of siblings, there are many things that take me by surprise.  One, for instance, is how different 2 kids can be. 

Let's take Aiden to start with.  Aiden is Mr.-Rule-Follower.  He has always been good and compliant.  Is this a result of awesome parenting?  No!  If we are going  by the nature vs. nurture philosophies, I give all the credit to nature.  What I didn't realize lately is how similar Aiden and I are (with the exception of rule follower.  I am a rule breaker.)  I am a chart-making, to-do list writing, schedule-oriented kind of gal.  Take a look at what Aiden made before our spring break trip to the beach last week . . .


He just came to me the day before we left, and said, "Mommy, I want to make a chart about the next few days."  After I picked my jaw off the floor, I said "ok" and laughed out loud.  As soon as we got to our hotel at the beach, he started unpacking his suitcase and putting his clothes away.  He's a born 40 year old.  He is just wired that way.  He can also be rowdy and have fun with the best of them.  Here he is playing in the ocean.


Having a little rule-follower first left me ill prepared for kiddo #2, our sweet girl, Addy.  She is just the opposite.  My little butterfly chaser.  If point A is the floor and point B is the bathroom, I guarantee you she will find 17 obstacles in between.  I have to allow extra time for EVERYTHING so she can put her baby dolls to bed, pick up 6 books to look at on the potty or try on each and every princess dress.  I love these things about her, but when we need to go somewhere, mommy gets a little unbalanced . . . Here's my sweet girl doing what she does best, playing and wandering.



I wouldn't trade either of them, even though they drive me up the wall in their respective ways sometimes.  They are sweet!  Here are a couple of other pics of our time at the beach . . .




2 comments:

  1. Sweet post Sarah! And you kids are super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. Aiden cracks me up with his list. Your kids are very similar to ours. Not to mention age as well. Your daughter is beautiful! It's a shame we don't live closer to each other. We think about you guys often and pray God continues to bless you.

    Brent

    ReplyDelete