Friday, December 9, 2011

Geese and Angels

Campus Crusade held it's annual Light Up event tonight.  To be honest, I usually dread this event.  It's dark so it's harder to keep up with everyone, the lines for food are SUPER long, and the food is supposed to represent different countries . . . so, not kid friendly.  This year, though, we came prepared.  We went to McDonald's beforehand, so kids were eating Happy Meals, while mommy and daddy were able to fight through the food lines.  Although, no fighting was necessary because we got there 10 minutes early and there were no lines!  So, Blair and I munched on tacos and empanadas, while the kids munched on cheeseburgers and fries (I did throw in some apples, too, so as not to be completely unhealthy.)

Here the kids are before the party during some forced holiday fun in front of the tree.  You can imagine me spurting out any lines I could think of from Disney movies to try to make them smile and look natural. 


As you can see it didn't really work . . .

The night was fun.  There were lots of kid activities, and even a petting zoo.  If you know our Sweet Girl, you know she loves animals.  Goats, geese, bunnies, and ducks were there.  I don't know if you know anything about adult geese or not, but they are MEAN.  We are not fans of geese in this family after tonight.  Our dear little Sweet Girl loves the animals so much and stood by the fence to see them.  Well, along comes a goose out of nowhere and takes a snap at her finger!!  She was very scared.  I could hear the gasps around the circle of the fence when it happened.  It's like he came up just to snap at her - mean thing!  Thankfully, she wasn't too scarred and still ventured to touch a bunny and a donkey's rear end.

The best part of the night actually happened on the 3 minute drive home.  We pulled onto our street and I commented for the 800th time how much I love our outside Christmas lights.  Blair did a great job on them!  You can see our Christmas tree through the front 2 windows and it looks like a scene from a very happy Christmas movie to me.  I look at it, and I think I'm glad I get to live in there with these people.  This picture doesn't really do it justice, but here it is nonetheless . . .



Yeah, it looks pretty lame in the picture, but I promise in person, it's really pretty.  So, Little Guy, says to us, "But, you can't see my angel."  We ask what angel, and he says, "I moved my angel around the back, so people could see it from the window and know that Christmas is about baby Jesus."  I was shocked silent for a minute.  I was hit on 2 levels.  1 is that he is thinking on his own that Christmas is about Jesus, and 2 that he wants other people to know that.  It was an amazing moment.

Here is the picture of the ornament.  He just colored it in church last Sunday.

2 comments: